Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull will announce the Fund of the Year at the Conexus Financial Superannuation Awards gala dinner in Sydney, on March 9.
A limited number of tickets are still available for the black-tie event.
The evening’s formalities will conclude with the Prime Minister announcing the winner of the prestigious prize for Fund of the Year, via video. Fund of the Year is awarded to the most outstanding entry from the winners across all 11 categories.
Minister for Financial Services Kelly O’Dwyer will present the award for Pension Fund of the Year, also via video.
The coveted CIO of the Year award will be presented via video by the chief investment officer of California pension fund CalSTRS, Chris Ailman. Ailman is one of two international members of the 2017 judging committee, alongside New Zealand Super chief executive Adrian Orr, who will also appear via video, to present the award for Medium Fund of the Year.
The Conexus Financial Superannuation Awards remain the only ones in the industry that are truly independent, with no entry fee for funds, no financial arrangement with a research house, and no cost to funds to promote their success in the awards. The selection and judging process remains focused solely on identifying and rewarding examples of excellence in member outcomes across the superannuation sector. Actuarial and consulting firm Rice Warner provides independent analysis.
Australian Prudential Regulation Authority deputy chair Helen Rowell was a special adviser to the 2017 judging committee.
Finalists in each category are listed below. The Fund of the Year Award will be chosen based on a quantitative analysis of the funds’ performance and a qualitative assessment by the judging committee.
Award categories and finalists (finalists listed alphabetically)
|BEST INSURANCE OFFERING||Christian Super|
|DEFAULT FUND OF THE YEAR||Cbus Super|
|PENSION FUND OF THE YEAR||Cbus Super|
|MEMBER SERVICES FUND OF THE YEAR||MTAA Super|
|BEST ADVICE OFFERING||Energy Super|
|BEST TECHNOLOGY OFFERING||BT Panorama|
|INNOVATION AND TRANSFORMATION||Australian Catholic Super|
|SMALL FUND OF THE YEAR
(less than $5 billion in assets)
|MEDIUM FUND OF THE YEAR
($5 billion to $10 billion in assets)
|LARGE FUND OF THE YEAR
(more than $10 billion in assets)
|CHIEF INVESTMENT OFFICER OF THE YEAR||Australian Ethical: David Macri|
|Cbus Super: Trish Donohue and Kristian Fok|
|MLC/Plum: Jonathan Armitage|
|Statewide: Con Michalakis|
Judging committee members
- Chris Ailman, chief investment officer, CalSTRS (US)
- Joanna Davison, chief executive, FEAL
- Simon Hoyle (joint chair), director of retail content, Conexus Financial
- Alan Kirkland, chief executive, CHOICE
- Sally Loane, chief executive, Financial Services Council
- Adrian Orr, chief executive, New Zealand Super Fund (NZ)
- Michael Rice, chief executive, Rice Warner
- The Hon. Bernie Ripoll, former minister for financial services and superannuation and chair of the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Corporations and Financial Services
- Amanda White (joint chair), director of institutional content, Conexus Financial
- Special adviser: Helen Rowell, deputy chairman, Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA)
The winners of the Conexus Financial Superannuation Awards 2017 will be unveiled at a black-tie event at the Ivy, Sydney, on March 9, supported by Vanguard and AIA Australia. You can purchase single tickets or tables for 10 by visiting the event website. The Conexus Financial Superannuation Awards proudly support The Wayside Chapel.